Taking a safety break to help our fellow humans.
When a crisis hits, it’s natural for us to band together. It’s also natural to feel overwhelmed and just log back onto Facebook. Stay in from lunch this week and give the cash to those in need. You won’t regret it, plus most charities prefer money as it’s more flexible and they can use it where necessary.
Here are some quick ways you can help out, no travel or knitting needles required.
- American Association of Blood Banks put out a call for blood donations, especially type O+. We’ve got a crew donating this Thursday.
- Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund – est. by Mayor Sylvester Turner
- United Way of Greater Houston – flood relief and long-term services like home repair
- San Antonio Humane Society – Harvey’s Heroes for rescued pets
- Houston Humane Society – rescuing & caring for displaced animals
- Houston Food Bank
- Texas Diaper Bank – helping those with vulnerable babies, children and people with disabilities
Most importantly: don’t forget about the thousands of people who still need help when the news is no longer focused on this crisis in a few months. They will be rebuilding their lives for years to come. Keep looking for opportunities to help out.